File a Complaint
If you believe a REALTOR® may have acted in an unethical manner, seek a resolution through the local Association of REALTORS® where he or she is member. Ethics Complaints that are brought before the Association give those parties involved an opportunity to be educated about the Code. In addition, REALTORS® are judged by their peers as opposed to other individuals who may be far less familiar with the practices and customs of the real estate industry.
If you are filing an Ethics Complaint, please read the following pertinent information before proceeding:
- Ethics Complaints must be filed within one hundred eighty (180) days after the facts constituting the matter became known in the exercise of reasonable diligence or within one hundred eighty (180) days after the conclusion of the transaction, whichever is later.
- If you have or will be filing a civil action in the matter, filling a complaint with the Montana Board of Realty Regulation, or filing a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the complaint may be held in abeyance until those actions have been resolved.
- Please read "Before You File an Ethics Complaint." You will then need to complete Form E-1 Ethics Complaint Form and return it to the Association office along with all supporting evidence and documentation. When stating your complaint, please be as detailed as possible.
- Ethics Complaints filed at the Association are forwarded to the Grievance Committee which reviews the case. If they deem sufficient grounds exist for a hearing, then the complaint is forwarded to the Professional Standards Committee.
- Once the complaint is forwarded to the Professional Standards Committee for a hearing, your presence at such hearing is mandatory.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding filing an ethics complaint, please e-mail Terry Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 406-453-2752.